Re: page numbering

Subject: Re: page numbering
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:50:31 -0500

If you are going to go to the trouble of distinguishing frontmatter from
the body of the document, it is traditional to include the TOC as part
of the frontmatter and to start page numbering on the first page of
actual content (the beginning of section 1 or chapter 1 or the first
main heading). This is page 1.

Frontmatter pages usually have lowercase roman numerals.

Of course this takes extra effort and most people don't bother for short
documents done in Word.

On the other hand, maybe I misread both the question and Jo's answer.
Perhaps the question has to do with whether the page number, whatever it
might be, is visible on the page. In this case, I would agree with Jo
that the title page and the copyright page (i.e., pp. i-ii) should have
"blind folios." That means you count them, but you don't print the
folios (page numbers) on them.

Dick