Re: Word up

Subject: Re: Word up
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 18:10:15 -0800 (PST)

Hmmm, I think you just argued my point, Tim, that tool choice is a matter of
personal preference and not objective technical superiority. Look what I mean
(note excerpts and emphasis)...

"Tim Altom" wrote...

> *I* picked my own tools
> *I* was at a client site just a month ago working in Word
> *I've* had Word lock up my entire system
> *I* had this happen in another
> *I* spent at least fifty percent of my review time wrestling with numbered
lists

> In short, Word is inefficient to use.

> The dispute over Word is not just about tool loyalty, but about suitability.

> *I've* used God knows how many editors

> I'm sorry, but this isn't about tool loyalty; it's about
> whether the tool is efficient enough. *My 20 years of experience*

*I* would say, Tim, you proved my point and didn't even realize it. Your post
was riddled with personal anecdotes about how Word has hurt you. It isn't
suprising then that you would think it is inefficient.

I had a girlfriend in college who dumped me, naturally I thought she was scum.
Is she REALLY scum. No, she just hurt me. (Sob)

Word works just fine. We do stuff in Word, Frame, PageMaker, HTML - they're all
about the same as far as I am concerned. Whatever it takes to make the customer
happy. That's my motto. I don't care whether a client wants the project done in
Word, Frame, or clay tablets. Unlike many consultants, I sell expertise in
producing docs - not a one-size must fit all solution.

So, my I think my point remains. Tool choice is mostly a matter of personal
preference and not true capability. It is possible to produce quality
documentation in Word, FrameMaker, WordPerfect, PageMaker, Front Page, etc...

Andrew Plato

http://shopping.yahoo.com/