Looking for a universal tool

Subject: Looking for a universal tool
From: "Amery Bodelson" <amery_b -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:47:37 -0600

Here is my situation:

I use Word to create a 100-page printed User Guide and also to create an online Help Center and context-sensitive help. For the printed User Guide, I create "customized" guides by using the master/subdocument feature of Word. This is a timely and frustrating task.

For the online help, I first write everything in Word, then translate it in HTML Transit (an InfoAccess program).

I've been teaching myself RoboHTML and really like it. I would like to be able to source my online help in RoboHTML and then directly translate it to HTML. My consultant tells me that to be able to use RoboHTML, I'll have to use Word first, then Robo, and then Transit. There's also the issue of Netscape users not being able to view Robo.

I've been hearing a lot about FrameMaker, ForeHelp, and HTML text editor. Can anyone tell me if there is such a tool that would eliminate going through so many steps to get my Help online and is viewable through multiple browsers?

Also, is there a tool that allows one to pull together "customized" documents efficiently? By customized I mean that each device that we sell is in a separate Word doc and must be pulled into the master Word doc.

Thank you,

Amery
BeAtHome.com