Re: QuarkExpress or Pagemaker?

Subject: Re: QuarkExpress or Pagemaker?
From: ekandl -at- unitechsys -dot- com (Erick Kandl)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:38:38 -0600

|snip|

Manuals aren't marketing leaflets. What advantages does Quark have
over Page maker? Am I right to be cautious?

|end snip|

I used both products extensively (about four years ago) and if I had
to sum it up in a nutshell, in my personal opinion, I think that
PageMaker handles larger documents and TOCs better; Quark handles
graphics better. I liked using both programs. PageMaker seems better
for laying out a large document, making a TOC, and organizing pages.
Quark seems better for using graphics, customizing pics, and adding
features (like lines, arrow, call-outs) to a graphic.

Both are very good products. I actually prefered using Quark, but it
sounds like you really like PageMaker. If you expect to maintain the
docs in-house, PageMaker sounds like a better solution for you. If you
plan to keep outsourcing, then you have to use Quark if your agency
only works with it. In that case, you may want to consider buying a
single license of Quark for the purpose of changing those documents. I
haven't used either product for about four years, so my opinion is
dated.

Good Luck,
Erick