Re: clarification needed

Subject: Re: clarification needed
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:30:05 -0800

Thomas Quine wrote:

> You are all right that the plural of an acronym should be "s" and not
> apostrophe "s". However there are exceptions to this rule.
> Where there is a possibility of confusion, you should add the apostrophe, as
> in MES's. Otherwise you might make a MESs.

This is common practice, and might become standard one day.

However, the few of us who are still literate inevitably misread
MES's as a possessive. Later in the sentence, we realize that we're
wrong, and then we have to reparse it - which is an annoyance.

It's true that linguistic evolution is inevitable. However, when a
change encourages misreading. I believe that it should be
discouraged as much as possible.

Unless, of course, we conclude that the literate are a dwindling
minority, and decide that they can be safely ignored. :-)

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The squire has a piece of paper that says he owns the land,
The bishop has a bible that says our souls are damned,
Mackenzie had a printing press, it's soaking in the bay,
And if Mackenzie comes again, there will be hell to pay."
-Dennis Lee, "Mackenzie"