RE: List Lurkers (Added Value)

Subject: RE: List Lurkers (Added Value)
From: Dana Briggs <Dana -dot- Briggs -at- AppliedDiscovery -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:20:37 -0800

Some of my observations about "lurking" v. participation. In the interests
of full disclosure, I need to advise all of you that I passed my 26th year
on the 'Net recently, have tons 'o experience on other networks such as the
"old" FidoNet and am rather comfortable in non-emotive communications media
such as this.

1. Most lurkers from my experience tend to be of the same general
personality type you would meet face-to-face, more often than not
introverted v. extroverted. Those who are extroverts will tend to speak-up
regardless of the medium.

2. Then there are those who are offensive in this list (as well as
elsewhere) and generally would be offensive regardless...

Those are lurking and may be concerned about "flame wars", disrespect and
the like should rest assured they have at least one compatriot who
understands the reluctance; but, encourages the participation.

Enough of my drivel for the moment,