Audience Analysis (WAS: Momentarily press and then release?)

Subject: Audience Analysis (WAS: Momentarily press and then release?)
From: Robbie Cooper <Robbie -dot- Cooper -at- pervasive -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:52:32 -0600

I think that we have forgot one of the very important aspects of our jobs in
this discussion: audience analysis.
As a former large-diesel mechanic (and still part-time engine-tinkerer) the
best word is "bump" the engine. I cannot imagine a single mechanic who does
not know that the term "bump" means to turn the engine a few revolutions
without causing it to start.

Therefore, we should ask "Who is the audience of the doc you are writing?"
Instead of finding a nifty way of saying "Push the start button, but release
it before the engine starts", you should just use the industry-specific
terminology, which in this case happens to be "bump".

Robbie Cooper
bigscoop -at- earthlink -dot- net

To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Re: Momentarily press and then release?

If the time is inconcequential, why say momentarily at all?
"Press and release the button to...."
However, due to the 'without starting engine' part, I'd say that you have to
define how quickly the user must react. How about: "Without starting the
engine,
press and release the start button." Follow up with an explanitory note.
IMO, momentarily, quickly and other such adjectives should be avoided.
Technically they convey no useful information and what they try and convey
is
subjective and open to interpretation. Define the action to be taken and the
parameters to be observed before, during, and after the action.
"Press the start button and release when X."

Eric L. Dunn