RE: What, Me Think? (was RE: clarification needed)

Subject: RE: What, Me Think? (was RE: clarification needed)
From: Katie Kearns <kkearns -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:34:20 -0800

At 09:02 AM 12/6/00 -0600, you wrote:

I also
had a daughter who went through the school system here (in one of the more
respected districts in the state) for 11 years (K-10).

Students have to pass the TAAS test to graduate and are tested at various
grade levels on the TAAS skills for their grade. School rankings, teacher
pay, teacher evaluation, etc. is tied to how well students do on this test.
Would you like to guess what teachers are expected to teach in the weeks (as
much as a month or more) before the TAAS test?

Howdy! I went to two years of high school down in Texas in a pretty well-respected ISD (independent school district).

Not only are you correct in just how much time they spent teaching us how to pass the TAAS test, but the test was really not hard at all. And people still managed to fail.

I remember one of my assignments in English class my junior year. The teacher assigned a short research project where we had to go to the library and looks things up about our topic and write a short paper (it couldn't have been more than 5 pages, it was so simple). But... these juniors in high school had never written a research paper before! I remember writing a 15 page research paper in the 6th grade in a horrible school in Virginia, as well as shorter ones in earlier grades. How on earth does a class of students make it to the 11th grade without writing a research paper?

But I'm happy to say I'm a 20-something who not only likes to think, but is good at it, too. ;) No thanks to the Virginia or Texas public school system, either.

-Katie