Re: What, Me Think?

Subject: Re: What, Me Think?
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:15:39 -0700

re: We messed up the education system.

Yes we did, but for a couple of good reasons.

1. If we didn't let you in (and keep you in) you had to go to Viet Nam to
be killed.

2. We decided affirmative action was the right thing. (Our mistake was
relaxing completion as well as entrance standards, which turns out to not
really meet the spirit of the good intentions--"affirmative" means you catch
up.)

In both cases, educators failed to adapt and to work harder. But maybe we
could pay and respect them more--which comes first?