Re: Deconstruction and Technical Writing?

Subject: Re: Deconstruction and Technical Writing?
From: Indulis -at- msn -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:41:26

How inspiring!

I studied french literary criticism of the twentieth century and yes, I
find that a good background in critical theory helps refine my language in
technical communications. My favorite example of deconstruction in use is
S/Z, where Roland Barthes analyzes a short work by Balzac, devoting
paragraphs of analysis to each sentence in the original work.

Literary critical theory has very broad application outside academia, as
well. There are numerous references to deconstruction in fashion, music,
and architecture, to name a few areas.

Speaking of usage, I wonder if "content" has taken over the meaning of
"text." Any thoughts?

Walter I. Bross