Re: To STC or not to STC ? That is the question!

Subject: Re: To STC or not to STC ? That is the question!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 10:51:29 -0800

"Hart, Geoff" wrote:

> Ah, but did you get the Charles Atlas muscles and Ginsu steak knives that
> _I_ got with my STC membership? <g>

No, but I bought them for myself, <**BIG** g>

The cynic would also ask what you were
> earning, what equipment you were using, and what responsibilities you had
> while you were a member: 135% of a minimum wage job, entering database info.
> in a sweatshop run by a direct-marketing company still using Kaypros isn't
> that much to crow about. (Just kidding. <g>)

Talking about money is vulgar (says he, flicking an invisible speck
of lint from his already immaculate cuff), so let's just put it this
way: I never even dreamed of earning half of my present income. Pass
the champagne and patie do fois gras, please <g>

> The value of joining is directly proportional to the work you put into
> participating, and inversely proportional to how good you are at networking
> and learning and making your way on your own.

This mantra has been repeated several times, but, like any cliche, I
question it. When you join any large group, it is very easy to
volunteer your time to essentially meaningless or irrelvant
activities that give neither you nor most of the members any
benefit.

> I get more than my money's
> worth simply out of the networking and publishing and learning
> opportunities

For me, networking with consulting companies gives far better
results for far less effort. I was at a headhunter's Christmas party
last night. Although I made it very clear to everyone that I was not
likely to be looking for work in the next few months, I came home
with a wallet stuffed with business cards and three job offers - two
of which I could have started next Monday, had I accepted them.

Publishing? Well, the audience is reasonably large, and who doesn't
like that? But I can get a larger audience and get better paid
elsewhere.

Learning? Lists like this one deliver free information to my
computer, wherever I happen to be. Anyway, a seminar (or a list) can
only introduce you to the topic. If you really have to learn
something, you've got to buckle down and study.

None of which I expect to persuade a single person. Like the man
says, never get involved in a land war in Asia, never go up against
a Sicilian when death is on the line - and, I might add, never
question anyone's deeply cherished beliefs. And, if I expected my
comments to make any real difference, (like the man also says), I
tell myself: get used to disappointment.

(And 10,000 club card points to anyone who identifies the movie
and/or book I'm quoting)

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

'And do you mean to say that you've built up this important business
and amassed a fortune of thirty thousand pounds without being able
to read or write? Good God, man, what would you be now if you had
been able to?'

"'I can tell you that, sir,' said Mr. Foreman, a little smile on his
still aristocratic features. 'I'd be verger of St. Peter's, Neville
Square.'"

- Somerset Maugham, "The Verger"