RE: Review techniques (was Re: lead time...)

Subject: RE: Review techniques (was Re: lead time...)
From: Lisa Matheson <lisamath -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:56:25 -0800

Another good addition to final review cover sheets are check boxes and
signature lines, and offer free food to people who return on time. My check
boxes:

[ ] Ok to release as is.
[ ] Ok to release with marked changes.
[ ] Need second review after changes are made.
[ ] Feature not complete.

Then, I have several key people's signatures on review forms that say the
doc is okay to release. It encourages people to be reasonably thorough.

You can also call out areas where significant changes have been made since
the earlier review, and specifically ask people to look at those areas in
particular.

To encourage more thorough reviewing on earlier reviews, I give free food to
people who return the review, on time, with at least one technical
inaccuracy (no typos, etc.) Not only does this encourage people to look
deeper, but it also indicates to the reviewers that I'm expecting there to
be errors and won't have my feelings hurt if they find one.

Lisa