Re: Self-employed, the lecture circuit, and conference fees

Subject: Re: Self-employed, the lecture circuit, and conference fees
From: "Herman Holtz" <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:56:46 -0500

> I'm a writer when I write.
> I'm a professional writer when someone pays me to write.
>
> --
> Elizabeth Ross
> Senior Technical Writer
> V3 Semiconductor
> www.vcubed.com

Elizabeth, I have been writing for enough yeras to qualify as a very
senior citizen. I have been getting published in the press for most of that
time. And I have earned my living as a writer for several decades. I still
do some pro bono writing--without pay, that is--and it does not make me less
the writer nor less the professional writer. As a writer, I sometimes want
to write for the pleasure of expressing certain thoughts or supporting some
idea. You are a professional writer if you think of yourself as a
professional writer, even if you have not yet recahed the point where
writijng supports you and your family full time. What others do (e.g., pay
you or not) should have nothing to do with how you regard yourself, your
wirk, and your position in the working world. - Herm

I publish the Occasional Newsletter for those who also write,
consult, and/or speak. Content can be on anything that seems
interesting. I publish when I have something to say. Send
blank email to herm-subscribe -at- Topica -dot- com/ to
subscribe or go to http://www.topica.com/lists/herm.