RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:06:34 -0800 (PST)

> How do we (as a group/profession) account for having more than one
> version of our resume? Books, consultants, and workshops on
> resume writing preach about having more than one version to
> target specific jobs. And I'll bet that most of us have more
> than one version. We all try to put our

Those are the books, consultants and workshops that insist on only
two pages, right? :-)

Some of us don't have more than one version. My resume is what I am,
all five pages. I cannot be different things (though I can DO
different things), so I cannot have different resumes. Besides...I am
a product of my past positions. I learn from each one and I'm changed
by each one. Only by seeing what I've done can I explain or justify
why I do things the way I do.

An example. Prior to being a technical writer by title, by job was
sales and technical sales support. This involved doing
sales/marketing-type writing (proposals, white papers, case studies,
RFPs, sales scripts, even some telemarketing scripts for AT&T) as
well as sales activities.

I sent my resume to an agency and they called me to say they wanted
to remove all references to anything marketing-related because the
person they were sending it too had an aversion to anyone that has
had anything to do with that side (kinda reminds me of some people on
this list). I told the agency that they were NOT to change a word
because what I did was what I am and if he had a prblem with that,
he'd have a problem with me, and I'd rather know now than after I'm
there. They didn't submit it, which is OK anyway, becuase the gig
after that was writing for UNIX programmers and API documentation,
definately marketing-related :-)

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I'm not flying. I'm falling...with style."
-- Buzz Lightyear

http://shopping.yahoo.com/