Necessary Knowledge (was The Problem with STC)

Subject: Necessary Knowledge (was The Problem with STC)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:37:36 +0000

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> But let's not forget that we, as technical communicators, >don't always need to explain the complex technical concept, >because our audience doesn't always need or even want that

A concept may not need to be explained, but, knowing it can help you
anticipate the audience's questions and answer them.

To give a simple example, let's say that the software you're documenting
automatically configures some features (but not all) to fit your
hardware. If you don't know about the automatic configuration, you'll
just mention the features that are configured with user input. However,
some users might know enough to ask why the automatically configured
features don't seem to be part of the process. If you know, you can
simply add, "Features X, Y, and Z are configured automatically" to your
procedure. If you don't know, then you'll leave users puzzled.

Strictly speaking, this information isn't necessary. However, extra
information like this is often the difference between good and merely
adequate information - to say nothing of few and overwhelming tech
support questions.

Sometimes, of course, time or the cost of printing limits how much you
can put into a manual. But what bothers me isn't that writers sometimes
have to settle for less than perfect documentation. What bothers me is
that some are apparently **content** to settle for less.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

"No knowledge is useless, with the exception of heraldry."
- Samuel Johnson