Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:33:20 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> "Haas, Guy" wrote:
>
> > But, if Dick spent three years full time in the antiwar
> > movement, what can he put on his resume for those three years?
> > I don't know about you, but I look for gaps in work history.
> > How to explain that three-year gap?
> >

> Don't explain it. Instead:
>
> a.) List jobs without mentioning years. Some people do this to avoid
> ageism, or simply because they feel that it's irrelevant. At many
> companies, it is.
>
> b.) Submit a resume organized by skills.

And Dick finally replies:

But guys, I don't include that on my résumé to fill a three-year gap. I
include it because I gained a lot of relevant experience that I would
not have gained had I just kept my head down and continued as an
advertising copywriter. Further, as a couple people have noted, I
include it because I want to avoid working anyplace where I'd have to
conceal my views in order to get along. (I work with several veterans by
the way. My opposition to the war was never directed at the brave men
and women fighting it.) My explicit choice is not to work on weapons
systems. Other people can choose to work on them or can be indifferent
to whether they do so or not. Some people are vegetarians. Some
aren't.Some people like chocolate. Some people like vanilla. It's okay,
really! That's what makes this a great country.

As for Bruce's suggestion that a functional résumé helps prevent
rejection based on ageism, heck, I've earned every gray hair in my beard
(and in what's left of the rest of my hair, too). If you don't want to
take advantage of my experience and wisdom (such as it is), that's fine
with me.