Re: The Problem with STC

Subject: Re: The Problem with STC
From: Mark Levinson <MarkL -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:11:52 +0200

When the STC puts ordinary, paying attendees up on the rostrum
to speak, I think it may be more than coincidence that, as David Orr
says, "this approach provides an opportunity for new people to get
into the speaker business." An important part of the STC's purpose
is professional development, and many of us-- though we are not
going to make money on our speeches as such-- are going to have
to speak clearly and persuasively to a small workplace audience
from time to time.

"So we're paying money to be the practice audience for an untried
speaker?" you say. Um, yes. But it's the STC's job to review
the speaker's proposal and make sure that there is something to
be got from the speech even if you have to suffer some stupid
jokes or peer around the speaker's head to read the slide.

Disclaimer 1: The STC conference is not all that there is to the
STC, every chapter is different, every chapter
changes, and for all I know (see Disclaimer 2)
every conference is different.

Disclaimer 2: I have never attended an STC conference.

- Mark L. Levinson - Gilian Technologies - markl -at- gilian -dot- com -
- tel +972-9-9560036 ext 215, fax +972-9-9565668 attn Mark L. -
- home: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il, tel +972-9-9552411 or 9555720 -
-------------- * Only half of life is quantifiable * -------------