RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:02:13 -0800 (PST)

Tony...the resume IS written for the reader...it is in the
appropriate tone, uses the appropriate terminology, phrases things
the way they want to hear it, has the right "words". To me, that IS
writing for the reader. OTOH, the content is about the product. The
product is not going to change me for the reader. When it comes to
style, we write for the reader. When it comes to content, we write
about the product. It is then up to the reader to determine if the
product is appropriate.

> job hunting, <G> I can't understand how a technical writer, who
> knows he has to write for the user's understanding in a technical
> document, can apply a different standard on something as important
> as a reume. As I see it, the same method should apply: write
> for your reader.
>
> Now, I'm NOT condoning ANY misinformation on a resume. A fibs a
> fibs whether it's a white lie or not. However, the emphasis
> placed on previous work experience can change from resume to
> resume. If I'm applying at a software company, any experience
> I had in the software field should take center stage.

Sometimes, non-sw related writing has an impact on the software
project in question. If I'm writing sw-related information for a
proposal response, wouldn't sales experience be a plus?

If I'm writing Network outage notifications, wouldn't writing press
releases be of benefit?

> 'The reader of resumes are a lazy lot.' (Direct quote from a former
> HR manager.

I DO their work for them in the way I phrase the information in my
resume. I use the feature/benefit approach. I don't them them the
feature and let them figure it out, that's work...I tell them the
feature, and then the benefit that they pass it back to their client.

> Write for the reader.

Take a look at my link to the resume. I think you might not find it
as bad as you think. I'd be interested in your comments.

http://www.tdandw.com/resume_john.doc

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I'm not flying. I'm falling...with style."
-- Buzz Lightyear

http://shopping.yahoo.com/