webworks vs PDF for single-source online delivery

Subject: webworks vs PDF for single-source online delivery
From: "McIntosh, Cathleen" <Cathleen -dot- McIntosh -at- vistacpg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:36:25 -0600

I've been contemplating upgrading my Standard Edition of Webworks Publisher
to the Professional Edition 6.0 and using it instead of RoboHelp to create
WinHelp and HTMLHelp (or some other web-based help). I need to reduce the
time it takes to create online help, and I'd like to do it by
single-sourcing. However, after creating some sample HTMLHelp files with the
Standard Edition, I'm wondering if a PDF file wouldn't be as sufficient.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to the benefits of HTMLHelp/Webworks vs.
PDFs available from a help menu? What obvious differences exist between the
two formats, besides the GUI. (BTW, I haven't created a frameset with WWP
yet, and I don't even know if a two- or tri-pane window would be available
in the HTMLHelp.)

I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts that anyone has about this.

Cathleen McIntosh
cathleen -dot- mcintosh -at- vistacpg -dot- com