RE: Celeron vs Pentium for a TWer's laptop?

Subject: RE: Celeron vs Pentium for a TWer's laptop?
From: CPower -at- ztr -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:31:55 -0500

Hi Milan,

I agree with Bob Morissette on the AMD processor.

I too have come from a Mac background and have spent the last few months
investigating the Dark Force (Windows'-based) and am looking at purchasing
an AMD processor.

It's true, a Celeron is a disabled Pentium.

AMD has its own version of the Celeron (lower cost processor), the Duron.
While not as fast as the standard AMD processor, the Duron easily
outperforms the Celeron (from what I have read, etc.). As well, the Duron
uses a slot-A motherboard. What this means is that to upgrade to the fast
AMD Processors (>1 Gig) you only have to remove the Duron and pop in the
faster AMD chip. Quite easy, and you don't have to replace other components
of your PC.

Also look at cost. For some reason, these AMD processors are less expensive
than the Pentium processors, and quality has nothing to do with the price.

My suggestion, get a laptop with a Duron (inexpensive, great performer) and
when you need more speed simply pop in the faster AMD Athlon processor.

Since you're in the Toronto area, check out www.jnetronic.com. If you think
you might like to build your own, or save money purchasing your own
components, check out their web site.

Hope this helps.