Re: webworks vs PDF for single-source online delivery

Subject: Re: webworks vs PDF for single-source online delivery
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:50:41 -0800 (PST)

> I've been contemplating upgrading my Standard
> Edition of Webworks Publisher
> to the Professional Edition 6.0 and using it instead
> of RoboHelp to create
> WinHelp and HTMLHelp (or some other web-based help).

A very good idea, as RoboHelp doesn't work with Frame.
;)

> I need to reduce the
> time it takes to create online help, and I'd like to
> do it by
> single-sourcing.

Makes sense. But don't assume that single-sourcing
will immediately save you time. Your documents must be
written and structured with single-sourcing in mind.
The common misconception is that single-sourcing
involves taking a manual written for print and putting
it online. That's not only incorrect, but unusable.
Single-sourcing is the parsing of one information
repository to produce output in more than one format.

> However, after creating some sample
> HTMLHelp files with the
> Standard Edition, I'm wondering if a PDF file
> wouldn't be as sufficient.

First, you cannot create HTML Help using WebWorks
Publisher Standard Edition. WWP SE only produces HTML
and XML - no Help formats. I'm guessing you produced
plain ol' HTML. Plus, you have minimum flexibility
with WWP SE, which is why I think you've had some
questions about its potential. If you upgrade to WWP
Pro, I think you'll be happy with the results.

Second, PDF is not Help and should not be used as
Help. Anyone who has used Frame 5.5.6 and earlier
versions knows how bad PDF is for online Help. I think
the world shook for a second or two from cheers of joy
when Frame 6 came out with actual online Help.

> Does anyone have any thoughts as to the benefits of
> HTMLHelp/Webworks vs.
> PDFs available from a help menu?

See above.

> What obvious
> differences exist between the
> two formats, besides the GUI. (BTW, I haven't
> created a frameset with WWP
> yet, and I don't even know if a two- or tri-pane
> window would be available
> in the HTMLHelp.)

Completely different animals. Open MS Outlook (98 or
greater) and select Help. That is HTML Help. Open
FrameMaker and select Help. That is WinHelp.

I suggest first determining what level of support you
want to give your audience, then find a format that
suits your audience. Perhaps both PDF and HTML Help
are wrong for your needs. Maybe plain HTML is what you
need. Or maybe it's JavaHelp. Check out
www.webworks.com, www.wwpusers.com and
www.egroups.com/group/wwp-users for more information
on WebWorks Publisher and the various Help formats you
can create from it.

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer