RE: The Business of Conferences

Subject: RE: The Business of Conferences
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:06:10 -0600

>I'm trying to see any sort of parallel between SF conventions and STC
>Conferences. And these 5,000 to 8,000 people who attend are gainfully
>employed in the science fiction "field"? Do these conferences largely
>(80%
>plus) consist of panel discussions and presentations where information is
>imparted to better the careers of the attendees? Or are they also consist
>of
>people showing off their Fantastic Four comic book collections and Jaba
>the
>Hut costumes?

Very few FF or Jabba sightings (none that I've ever seen, but that's just
my personal experience; I think you're confusing SF cons with "media
cons"). You'd be amazed (judging from the tenor of your message) at how
many WorldCon attendees are either gainfully employed or want to be
gainfully employed in the field. My roomate at the last one was a "first
reader" from one of the genre magazines, for example. A few of the panels
are on topics similar to what you're describing, but a lot of them deal
with how to improve one or more facets of your writing, how to get started,
and similar "professional" advice. 80%? Don't know, I don't have my program
books handy.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224