RE: Troublesome authors

Subject: RE: Troublesome authors
From: "Suzanne Townsend" <suzyt -at- hfx -dot- eastlink -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:55:48 -0400

Andrew wrote:

> She finally left the company and things got back to normal. But I never
felt
> like I really dealt with that very well.

Maybe you just feel that way because you weren't able to change this
person's habits or attitude. That isn't something you *can* deal with,
except to let it go. You are feeling frustration -- understandable. But it
was not your fault, if you gave the person opportunities to discuss/change
the problem.

> But, when that person then becomes snide about any
> criticism to their work. It sometimes seems that too much freedom can be a
bad
> thing. Free-agent types think they have all the answers and aren't willing
> listen to authority.

When a person becomes defensive and unable to accept <constructive>
criticism, it is usually a mark of insecurity don't you think? OTOH, your
criticism obviously didn't come across to her as constructive to her -- it
could be that you assumed something about that person, and/or were in a
hurry, and/or when... the list goes on and we all do it all at one time or
another.

Sounds like this person could use a good long course/practice in pure
editing, and get some experience working with other authors. That would give
her both humility and confidence. Maybe you could try that next time you
have someone with a similar attitude but enough talent that you don't want
to lose them (or your investment in them -- your time etc.).

FWIW
--Suzanne