RE: Troublesome authors

Subject: RE: Troublesome authors
From: Sanjay Srikonda <SSrikonda -at- invlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:12:29 -0500

I have a counter to this, what about style guides that just change based on
what the TE and his/her boss decide is the latest way to do things? I was
in this situation once. One week the Style Guide would say one thing, the
next something else entirely. Suzanne is absolutely right however, the TE
and the Style Guide are usually the arbiter of style and function, if you
can make your case without spilling blood then it's probably the best you
can do. After all, it IS just a job. Once you find yourself taking the job
home with you, you need to move on.

<snip>
Suzanne Townsend wrote:
It takes two to fight. For these fights, style guides are really the only
referee. If there is a majority of opinion, it goes into the style guide.

If the editor is trying to be the author, or if their skills are "on the
shaky side" and they do not recognize that, the editor needs serious
retraining and you are best to offer that or let them go.

That's my opinion anyhow!
--Suzanne
</snip>