Troublesome Writers

Subject: Troublesome Writers
From: HALL Bill <bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:59:21 +1100 (EDT)

Speaking as a sometimes troublesome writer myself, if you genuinely can't
communicate together (for whatever reason) well enough to be working towards
a common goal, I see no reasonable alternative but to sever the
relationship. It is a kindness to both parties.

In my case, I was a technical writer managing documentation in a Hogan
banking environment. I had originally been hired under an Information
Systems banner and was working for the software development manager and
ended up responsible for end-user documentation. A company reorganisation
placed me under a customer-services manager who had a rigid personality and
who from my point of view did not have a deep understanding of technical
writing or documentation control. I usually understood her points of view,
but professionally I often could not in good consciousness agree with them.
Towards the end of the relationship she was quite open about what she
required: "You are to do what I would do if I had the time to do it".

I wouldn't work that way.

Being fired from the position was one of the happier days of my life - I was
free from an impossible situation with a better termination settlement than
I would have gotten by quitting, and the next situation I found was
interesting enough and had enough requirements for my capabilities that I
have been here for 11 years.

I am not saying any of this applies to Andrew Plato, but to have a good
working relationship employees and staff should have a genuine community of
interest and understanding or they shouldn't be working together.

My $US .01 - which is about what the Australian .02 is worth.

Bill Hall