Re: The Business of Conferences

Subject: Re: The Business of Conferences
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:02:06 -0500

A few days ago, I mentioned that I thought that relatively few
conferences sponsored by professional organizations provided any kind
of compensation to speakers. I posed the question to a friend who is
president of the IEEE Engineering Management Society and a member of
several other IEEE societies, and here's what he said:

<<I think it is rare to see speakers compensated for their paper
presentations. I've seen a few [conferences] with registration
discounts, but this has all but disappeared. The only compensation
that I've seen in recent memory has been at commercial, for-profit
conferences where speakers get some kind of honorarium. The
for-profit crowd is in the business to make money so they view
speakers as part of the package and promote them as justification for
higher-than-average registration fees. This would be hard to do with
an IEEE conference.>>

If STC is out of line with general practice in the professional
society-sponsored conference arena, it would seem that it is because
STC offers a discount to speakers, not that it fails to waive
speakers' registration fees.

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 (803) 642-2156
Fax: +1 (803) 642-9325
http://www.ghayhoe.com