Re: Troublesome Writers

Subject: Re: Troublesome Writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:26:57 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

>Free-agent types think they have all the answers and aren't willing to
> listen to authority.

Since I started my day at 2 AM, and spent part of it tromping around
O'Hare, tripping on my carry-on, I'm in the mood to make a sweeping
generality (that is, completely numb to the possible consequences):

In my experience, the more troublesome writers are, the less
professional they are. By that, I don't mean how much they have
sold. I'm talking about what their attitude to work is. That is: are
they focused on the work, or on the ego-gratification they get from
the role of the writer? Both these attitudes are forms of pride, but
writers who focus on their work have channelled their ego into a
pride that makes them do their best work. By contrast, ego-focused
writers may be vain, insecure, inexperienced, or some combination of
all three; many also seem to be frustrated fiction writers who
drifted into tech writing in a desperate attempt to subliminate
their dreams of publishing success. But, regardless of their
motivations,inevitably, they can't work with other writers unless
they are in charge - either officially or unofficially through
intimidation and office politics.

This attitude is a marked contrast to those focused on improving the
work. Although all writers may have bad ego days, the work-focused
writers can take constructive criticism because they don't see it as
a personal attack. And, the more successful the work-focused writers
are, the less likely they are to take a criticism personally. If
they object to a suggestion, their response is usually based on what
is good for the work as a whole. Just as importantly, they know when
to let go; however proud they are of a manual, they know that it's
not going to be up for the Booker Prize they've always coveted. The
only drawbacks to this type of writer are that there aren't very
many of them, and they tend to at the top of the profession, or at
least moving there very quickly.

Since reading the original post in this thread, I've been trying to
formulate in my own mind how you can spot each of these types of
writer. The type becomes obvious as soon as you make a suggestion,
but how do you screen for them? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd
be glad to hear them.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Willie was the golden boy, possessed of style and grace,
Where another man might fold his hand, he found the extra ace,
Willie he turned rotten in some secret, ugly way,
Now I look in children's faces, I see Willie."
- Garnet Rogers