Re: TW jobs-how to choose

Subject: Re: TW jobs-how to choose
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:47:55 -0800

"Janys K." wrote:

> I am having a difficult time deciding which one to
> take and I am hoping to get some feedback about how
> others evaluate job offers and consider the most
> important factors in choosing a fulltime job.

The job in the other city would be a cut in pay, especially if the
cost of living in the city is higher. However, unless your money
requirements are tight, the difference is small enough not to matter
very much. If your negotiating skills are up to the effort, you
might even be able to ask for a few thousand more to make up the
difference.

Either way, I don't think that money should be the deciding factor
for you. The difference is probably not great enough, The real
question is what you want. Do you want to move? Do you like
flexibility and responsibility? Do you prefer working on a team?

And, for me, the most important question would be one that no one's
mentioned yet: how interesting is the work? How important the
question is depends on how long you plan to stay with the company,
but, even for a short span, I would feel that I was just marking
time if I wasn't interested in what the company was doing. Forty
hours a week is a quarter of my waking hours, and I don't want to
waste them on indifference or outright boredom.

When I've had to choose between jobs, I've drawn up lists of pros
and cons, and made the decision from the lists. You might want to do
the same.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Willie was the golden boy, possessed of style and grace,
Where another man might fold his hand, he found the extra ace,
Willie he turned rotten in some secret, ugly way,
Now I look in children's faces, I see Willie."
- Garnet Rogers