Re: FWD: RE: Troublesome Writers

Subject: Re: FWD: RE: Troublesome Writers
From: Bill Burns <bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:45:49 -0700

> I think this is more an assessment of how people can look at the result of
> a firing rather than a reason offered for firing someone. Sort of like,
> "Well, maybe it's all for the better." That's not arrogant. That's making
> lemonade out of lemons.

No, it's a rationalization at best and a hypocritical lie at worst.
If you're going to fire somebody - or, for that matter, do anything
that might harm someone - you should at least have the guts to admit
what you're doing.

I don't think I was clear. Right after this, I wrote, "I don't think employers who would use this as an official explanation for terminating an employee would be doing themselves any favors. It would leave them wide open for unemployment claims..."

My point was that I don't think anyone suggested using this as an explanation for firing someone. It's not a reasonable explanation, and anyone terminated in such a way would have a pretty obvious claim for unemployment?not something an employer would want to incur if they rightfully terminated an employee.

The original context was

>One phrase keeps coming up in this thread that I find troubling:
>the relationship is
>perhaps best severed for the good of both parties

And this context seemed to suggest that the comment was a retrospective assessment, not grounds given for firing. If I saw these words in the context of an actual termination, I'd agree, but that's not how I read it. If that was how it was used in the previous posts in the thread, then I was wrong.

If the thread is about how to tell someone they're fired, then that's a different matter. Should we talk about how and why to fire someone? That seems to be more in line with this response.

If you've decided that the firing is necessary, do it - and if the
necessity makes you squirm, well, that's part of the reason you draw
extra pay as a manager. If you find the decision too distasteful,
don't take on supervisory roles.

I won't argue with that. I agree.

I hated the situation, especially
since the immigration department was taking advantage of these
students by raising false hopes, then charging them much more than
citizens or landed immigrants to study in Canada. I felt that I was
doing the government's dirty work.

Sounds like a crappy situation. I'm happy I've never had to be in the same position.

Fortunately, those cases were less ambiguous. In each
case, the people had had several warnings and extra chances before
being fired, and, while I had to psych myself up before telling them
that they were dismissed, I didn't condescend to them by pretending.

And I'm not suggesting that you should tell someone that you're letting them go in the hopes that it will be "a learning experience." I was commenting on how I thought a number of people felt about someone being terminated.

Bill Burns, Senior Technical Consultant, Scriptorium Publishing
FrameMaker ACE, WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
bburns -at- scriptorium -dot- com - 208-484-4459
http://www.scriptorium.com