Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: "techwr-l owner" <techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
To: <archive -at- raycomm -dot- com>

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...

* ANNOUNCE: Upcoming INDEXING SKILLS WORKSHOPS (NEW)
* JOB: Technical Writer Needed in San Francisco (NEW)
* ANNOUNCE: Publications Management Clinic
* ANNOUNCE: JoAnn Hackos' "Developing a Single-Sourcing Strategy"
* ANNOUNCE: Usability Testing Offer at CU-Denver
* ANNOUNCE: Supporting TECHWR-L with Annual Sponsorships
* JOB: Documentation Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
* ANNOUNCE: FRAMEMAKER-to-ACROBAT ADVANCED TECHNIQUES SEMINARS
* ANNOUNCE: SnagIt and Camtasia Free Trial Versions
* ANNOUNCE: Indexing Skills Workshop for Technical Communicators

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

ANNOUNCE: Upcoming INDEXING SKILLS WORKSHOPS
FOR TECHNICAL COMMUNICATORS
presented by Lori Lathrop

The one-day workshop is for writers and editors who need
to create usable indexes for either printed or online documents.
Writers will learn to apply several productivity tips and
techniques in indexing technical documentation.

DATES AND LOCATIONS:

January 19 - Tampa, FL
February 16 - San Diego, CA
February 23 - San Jose, CA
March 30 - Greenville, SC
April 6 - Greensboro, NC
April 20 - Denver, CO
May 25, Newark, NJ

To request a brochure for any of these workshops, contact
LoriLathrop -at- compuserve -dot- com (http://idt.net/~lathro19)
or call 704-531-0021.

"An index is as important to your documentation as your
documentation is to the product." (Lori Lathrop)

Lori Lathrop is a Past President of the American Society
of Indexers (ASI) and a Senior Member of the Society for
Technical Communication (STC). The second edition of her
book, An Indexers Guide to the Internet, was published by
Information Today Inc. in 1999, and she is currently writing
Indexing Skills for Technical Communicators, which is based
on the workshops she delivers to corporate clients throughout
North America.

12/16/00-1/23/00

JOB: Technical Writer Needed in San Francisco

Wakesoft is a startup in the internet infrastructure space. We are
seeking a technical writer to produce internal and developer
documentation for our product, which is a highly technical Java
(J2EE) developer solution. Our ideal technical writer would be a
permanent employee who works at least 80% onsite. Our office is
in San Francisco, very near the main CalTrain station.

Requirements:
3+ years of producing developer-level or API documentation
Familiarity with Java or other OO language
Working knowledge of HTML
Familiarity with Unix desired
Experience producing deliverables in PDF format desired
Experience with FrameMaker and PDF desired
Ability to produce simple graphics desired
Experience with XML desired
Programming experience a big plus
Experience with frameworks, design patterns, or n-tier
development a plus
Please email jobs -at- wakesoft -dot- com to apply. Principals only.

12/16/00-12/23/00

ANNOUNCE: Publications Management Clinic

Publications Management Clinic
February 12-16, 2001 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Presented by SOLUTIONS, Inc.
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com/clinics/01pmc.htm
info -at- SolutionsEvents -dot- com, 800-448-4230 or 781-942-1610

PUBLICATIONS MANAGEMENT . . . AND BEYOND
A week of in-depth seminars. Learn the technical trends, people skills,
processes, and strategies you need to chart the path for your department,
your team, and your career in today's economy. Choose from 6 full-day and
12 half-day seminars in 3 tracks to design the program that's right for
you.

* SINGLE-SOURCING: From defining requirements to implementing your
strategy. Includes 1-day Single-Sourcing Tools Face-Off and hands-on XML.

* LEADERSHIP SKILLS AND STRATEGIES KM, usability, staffing, metrics,
managing translation, making businesses cases, and much more.

* PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Learn to plan, schedule, budget, and track projects.
Includes hands-on Microsoft Project specifically for publications
professionals.

SINGLE-SOURCING TOOLS FACE-OFF: Wednesday, Feb 14. Learn about the
leading single-sourcing tools. Limited number of 1-day registrations
available.

12/14/00-12/21/00

ANNOUNCE: JoAnn Hackos' "Developing a Single-Sourcing Strategy"

Is your organization searching for better ways to make
information accessible to customers and to staff? Are
you looking for ways to store information in a single
source and use it in many ways? Have you thought about
creating document databases from which information can
be published in many media, including the Web?

If so, plan to attend "Developing a Single-Sourcing Strategy,"
an exceptional two-day workshop conducted by JoAnn
Hackos. JoAnn is the past president of the Society for
Technical Communication and an internationally known
expert on information design and human productivity.

=====================Details=====================
Workshop Title: Developing a Single-Sourcing Strategy
Dates: January 9-10, 2001
Location: Champaign, IL
Fee: $650.00
Registration: Call or e-mail the workshop coordinator,
Molly Sausaman, at (303) 234-0123 or
molly -dot- sausaman -at- comtech-serv -dot- com,
or register online at <http://www.usabledesign.com/>

In this seminar, we'll examine the issues involved in
creating document databases and structured information.
We'll discuss the impact of single-sourcing on department
organization, project management, training, writing style,
document control, editing, and translation. We'll review
some of the tools available and look at both their strengths
and their shortcomings.

Workshops Coming up in 2000/2001:

?Developing a Single-Sourcing Strategy
January 9-10, Champaign, IL
February 1-2, Waltham, MA
March 15-16, Emeryville, CA
April 17-18, Portland, OR
*Special Three Day Single-Sourcing Seminar
December 6-8, Denver, CO
?Developing Standards for E-Communication
December 4-5, Malvern, PA
March 8-9, Phoenix, AZ
June 11-12, Chicago, IL
?User and Task Analysis
November 2-3, Greenville, SC
?Downsizing your Documentation: Online and off
February 26-27, Jacksonville, FL
?Managing your Documentation Projects
January 23-24, Germantown, MD
?Essentials of Online Structure: Recognizing, Taming, and Using Online
Chaos to Help People Work

For more information, go to: http://www.usabledesign.com/

12/11/00-12/18/00

ANNOUNCE: Usability Testing Offer at CU-Denver

Dear TECHWHIRLERS:

In late January, 2001, the M.S. in Technical Communication
Program at the University of Colorado at Denver will again offer
a semester-length course in Usability Testing (at the graduate
level). In past courses we provided valuable usability testing
for diverse clients, including (among others) TargetSmart, Inc.
(specializing in marketing software), for the National Renewable
Energy Laboratories (NREL) Website, BioStar (manfacturers of
human virus detection equipment), and for J. D. Edwards Company,
specializing in accounting software, among others. One of the
areas we emphasize in our M.S. curriculum, and that we
particularly focus in this course, is the testing and improvement
of a broad range of online/interactive and hard copy
documentation and instructional material, including (but not
limited to) such things as:
-- web sites
--software documentation (including interfaces & help systems),
tutorials & instructions
--documentation for consumer electronics, appliances (VCRs,
stereos, voice messaging answering machines, etc.)
--health hazard/risk disclosures and documentation, such as:
*warnings on (or inside of) packaging
*patient package inserts for pharmaceuticals and home care
health products, devices (e.g., syringe kits)
*proper usage instructions for household appliances, tools,
etc.
--government & consumer legal documentation, such as:
*tax documentation
*real estate documentation/forms
*securities prospecti
*banking/loan transactions
*insurance policies/forms

Here's the pitch: For the Spring 2001 course, we are again
inviting both public and private sector organizations to
participate. We invite such organizations to provide actual
documents, software, and/or other technology for which they would
like user-testing and related comprehensibility evaluations to be
performed in our labs.

All experimental participants that we recruit must sign
non-disclosure agreements as well as participation consent forms
for the university. Organizations who participate are also
required to sign a written letter of agreement with the
department and students at CU-Denver. Organizations must also
provide monetary support for securing and paying user-test
participants and for transcribing audio and/or video data. There
is also a nominal participation contribution which helps support
upgrades in our lab facilities and scholarships for students
enrolled in the program in technical communication. Note that
we are interested both in consumer-type documents as well as
documents for more specialized audiences/technicians. We are
equally interested in online and traditional hard-copy documents,
and in electro-mechanical as well as computer technology
documentation.

If you or your organization think you might be interested in
temporarily supplying such documents/technology to our Program
and obtaining the written results of a highly competent user-test
evaluation--please contact me before December 31, 2000.
Be sure to reply to my personal email at
fsapienz -at- carbon -dot- cudenver -dot- edu, not to this list.

Sincerely,
Professor Filipp Sapienza
Technical Communication Program
University of Colorado at Denver
Plaza Building, Suite 102, Room P
Campus Box 176
Denver, Colorado 80217
Phone: 303-556-6209
Fax: 303-556-6018
http://www.cudenver.edu/public/techcomm/index.html

12/11/00-12/18/00

ANNOUNCE: Supporting TECHWR-L with Annual Sponsorships

Do you or others in your company benefit from TECHWR-L
list discussions, and the articles, services, and original
content published on the TECHWR-L Web site?
- Do you look to TECHWR-L for quick answers to challenging
problems, or just for a bit of relief from the stress of
the day?
- Is authoritive information from an attorney who specializes
in intellectual property and Internet law a worthwhile read?
(http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/lawyer.html)
- Are freely available, profession-specific job postings and
a free resume board a useful alternative to slogging through 2100
or more jobs on Monster.com?
(http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/)
- Did you learn a bit, laugh a bit, or otherwise benefit
from the many regular columns and feature articles published
on the TECHWR-L site?
(http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/)

If you answered yes to any of these questions, or have otherwise
benefited from the resources that TECHWR-L provides to the
community, take a few minutes to contact your boss, marketing
director, or company owner and let them know that sponsoring
development of this resource.

In developing TECHWR-L, we chose not to use paid
subscription or fee-based funding models but, instead, chose to
develop the TECHWR-L list, Web site, and variety of services as
free resources to the community as a whole. We would like to
continue making TECHWR-L and its variety of services available
at no cost to the technical writing community because we think
they meet a significant information need. In short, we think
providing these services for free is simply the right thing to do.

Your company's sponsorship will help us continue to maintain
and develop the TECHWR-L community, which includes acquiring new
original content and developing new features, services, and
materials that meet the changing needs of the technical writing
community.

Where to start?
First, for more information, see
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/sponsorships.html
Second, tell your boss, supervisor, or company president just how
important TECHWR-L is to you, and suggest that their support would
be invaluable in helping further develop these resources.
Finally, after your company has agreed, contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) to set up the sponsorship and to arrange for
your "Thank you" dinner.

12/10/00-12/17/00

JOB: Documentation Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

The Utah Documentation Manager creates and maintains database and
software documentation as required, ranging
from technical alerts and database field guides to system administration
manuals, user guides, and help systems. In
addition, the Documentation Manager manages the Utah technical writing
group (a two-person group) and works closely and
cooperatively with the New York-based technical writing staff. The Utah
Documentation Manager is a member of the
Technology group, and will be located in Ovid's Utah office.

Required skills:
Software documentation experience (2-5 years)
Management experience (2+ years)
Editorial experience (2+ years)
Excellent oral and written communication skills
UNIX, DOS, and Windows experience
Experience developing HTML pages
Experience with the Microsoft Office suite (particularly MS Word)
Highly organized
Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment
Strong team-building skills

Desired skills:
Experience with Adobe Framemaker
Experience with simple graphic editing
Experience in networked environments
Experience managing or leading a software development team
Experience with bibliographic/fulltext search software
Library experience a plus

Qualified candidates are required to submit writing samples. If you or
someone you know is interested, please contact
Curtis Howe at 801-304-3412 or fax to 801-304-3002. E-mail:
Curtis_Howe -at- ovid -dot- com

12/7/00-12/21/00

ANNOUNCE: FRAMEMAKER-to-ACROBAT ADVANCED TECHNIQUES SEMINARS
(Instructed by Shlomo Perets)

* Chelmsford, MA: January 29-30 - Contact Jim Camacho (978-742.4949
mailto:frametrain -at- aol -dot- com), FrameWork Consulting

* San Francisco, CA: February 1-2 - Contact Michael Liberatore
(415-552.5535.x107 mailto:mliberatore -at- caxton-inc -dot- com), Caxton

The two-day FrameMaker-to-Acrobat Advanced Techniques Seminar is
designed for FrameMaker and Acrobat users who want to create high-
quality, interactive PDF files. Attend and you will learn multitudes
of undocumented techniques, creative solutions, and tips for defining
Acrobat features within FrameMaker.

Course materials include a 400-page course workbook with step-by-step
procedures, reference materials, technique descriptions and exercises, and
the following software add-ons: FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers (MicroType),
Ari's Link Checker (Dionis) & PageLabeler (Carmen Publishing).

See http://www.microtype.com for more info (and free resources).

12/3/00-12/17/00

ANNOUNCE: SnagIt and Camtasia Free Trial Versions

Looking for a tool to help you with technical documentation?
TechSmith's SnagIt and Camtasia software give you the power to
simulate all desktop activity and present it to anyone, anywhere,
live! These tools help tech writers supplement and enhance print
materials and save precious production time.

Visit our web site to learn more and download FREE trial versions
of SnagIt and Camtasia. http://www.techsmith.com/twr

12/1/00-12/31/00

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 4900 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, is now available and can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 4900+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.