Re: Features of a well-written procedure

Subject: Re: Features of a well-written procedure
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:35:28 -0800

"Le Vie, DonaldX S" wrote:

> The Rule of Seven is also observed in ancient literature for the exact same
> reason: easy recall for the oral traditions.

While I agree that the Rule of Seven is generally useful, I'm not
too sure that it applies here. What would you make of the forty
days/nights/years that the ancient Hebrews were so fond of? :-)

Possibly, seven was originally chosen for mystical reasons. However,
I suspect that its persistence in oral literature is due simply to
the fact that oral works are composed by combining and making slight
changes to formulaic metrical phrases. Once seven was in there, it
may have stayed for no better reason than the fact it was there.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"To conclude,I'll tell you news that's right:
Christmas was killed at Naseby fight,
Charity was slain at that same time,
Jack Tell-Troth, too, a friend of mine."
- Anonymous 17th Century, "The World Is Turned Upside Down"