RE: References for "The Magic Number" and more examples of the nu mber 7

Subject: RE: References for "The Magic Number" and more examples of the nu mber 7
From: Steve Bang <SBang -at- alphablox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:44:02 -0800

Here are some important counterpoints to the the discussion about the the
"Magical Number 7":

Reducing reliance on superstition
In: UI Design Update Newsletter - September, 2000
http://www.humanfactors.com/library/sep00.asp

I highly recommend everyone on this list subscribing to this newsletter.

And, here's another good one:

3.14159, 42, and 7±2: Three Numbers That (Should) Have Nothing To Do
With User Interface Design
In: Internetworking -- Aug. 2000
http://www.internettg.org/newsletter/aug00/article_miller.html

If you would like to read the original Miller paper, it is available online
at:

Miller, George A. (1956). "The magical number seven, plus or minus two:
Some limits on our capacity for processing information." The
Psychological Review, 63, 81-97. Also at
http://www.well.com/user/smalin/miller.html

Steve

Steven K. Bang
Sr. Staff Information Developer