RE: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier (Mild Vent)

Subject: RE: Pulling it slightly OT: TW Salaries--Is it me, or are people greedier (Mild Vent)
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:30:36 -0800

This happened to me once. I was afraid I wouldn't get the job if I asked for too much. On the other hand, I didn't want to work for peanuts either. So, I took the wages I had made (not at my last job, because that was peanuts, but from the job before), gave myself a $2500 raise, and asked for that much. I got it without a blink. (I think I could have asked for even more.)

I think this is a case for courage - and being willing to negotiate if they want to.

Marilynne

At 04:20 PM 12/18/00 -0600, Melanie Shook wrote:

Bruce Byfield wrote:
<<This sounds like a basic rule of negotiation: just because someone
in authority asks doesn't mean that you have to give an answer. Once
you do, of course, you've set limits.>>

I have to say this is my weak point. What exactly do you say when they ask
you how much you want? This same situation came up with me the last time I
was asking for a raise. My boss pressed and pressed for an answer, and I
didn't give one, but it was very awkward. (I did get a great raise, so
awkward or not, I guess it worked.)

Anyone care to share some graceful way to do it?

Melanie Shook

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM