RE: Convince vs. Persuade (WAS: Displays versus Appears )

Subject: RE: Convince vs. Persuade (WAS: Displays versus Appears )
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:50:29 -0000

<When I read of someone "convincing" someone else to do something, it sets
off an alarm in me immediately. What good is it to have words with precise
meaning, such as "convince," if we misuse them so badly?>

Robbie Cooper wrote:
<I couldn't agree with you more, Herman.
For those of you reaching for your dictionary...
While convince and persuade are synonyms...there is a usage distinction:>

<snip usage distinction, though it's a good one>

I have a whole flock of pet peeves myself, but I find them expensive to feed
and exhausting to exercise (or perhaps the other way round), so I reserve
pet status for peeves about the actual mistreatment of English: which does
not include the substitution of a word with a synonym for that word, however
traditionally preferred.

Jane Carnall
Brillig Twas und die slithy toves taten gyre und gimble im wabe. Waren die
borogroves und das momerathsoutgrabe ganz mimsy.