Word Choice/Ordering: Summary (longer)

Subject: Word Choice/Ordering: Summary (longer)
From: "Hegarty, Alan" <Alan -dot- Hegarty -at- sema-telecoms -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:52:14 +0100

Okay Techwr_ler-s,

Despite a number of "more acceptable" alternatives, a 'quasi' Dilbert
situation has arised.

Originally, I was questioned about the acceptabilityof a single item in a
billing system GUI for mobile telephony, which was part of a complete
customer profile.

The item: Not overdue amount belonged to the "Payment Record" section of the
GUI consisting of three main elements
as mentioned in the original posting:
<Total unpaid amount>
<Not overdue amount>
<Overdue amount>

When limited to the two versions presented in the original posting, Version
2 was clearly preferred over Version 1. To refresh those jumping on board:

>Version 1:
>Total unpaid amount Not overdue amount
>273,58 85,60
>Overdue amounts
>1-30days 31-60days 61-90days 90+days
>120,53 67,45

>Version 2:
>Total unpaid amount Amount not overdue
>273,58 85,60
>Amounts overdue
>1-30days 31-60days 61-90days 90+days
>120,53 67,45

The Comments fell more or less into two camps: "If i have to choose one of
two lesser evils, then Version 2, but..." versus "Well, you know ..how
about Version 3.." Also, a number of you pointed out the awkwardness of
both, how neither one of the two represented no 'up-to-date' standard used
by accountants or found in credit card bills, telephone bills, etc. Browse
the comments for the reactions: (contributors know their voice)

Version 2 as 'acceptable'

"I like Version 2...it was quicker for me to understand (I see what you mean
about "not overdue amount"...that does sound awkward. I like better "amount
not overdue" better, if forced between a choice of the two."

"i'd go for version 2, since it maintains parallel heading structure of the
3 fields"

"I vote for version 2 of the first line. 'Amount not
overdue' is less convoluted. As for the second line
the two versions seem about equal to me."

There's got to be a better way

"see if there's something equivalent to: Current Amount Due. It's
not overdue, but it is due. That's typically how I see items such as this
on invoices."

"Adding 'amount' to each label seems to clutter things up without providing
extra information. If you like, you can add dollar signs or other currency
marks to each amount."

"can I ask a really stupid question, being a TW, i'm known for them, what is
'not overdue' here? Are you trying to say 'amount up to present time'?"

"What we have here," I said to my accounting-degreed self, "is a genuine,
bonafide aging report." From the murky depths of my previous career as a
number-cruncher, I offer the following suggestions; however, they may not be
feasible for localization:

...both were a little confusing. I did not quite get the part that said
"amt. not overdue" (i.e., it took me a while to think about).

Some Alternatives included:
a. Total (Outstanding) Balance: Current: Past due
b. Total unpaid Not overdue Overdue
c. Unpaid Balance Current Amount Due Previous Balance
d. Balance Due Current Balance Past Due
e. Total Due Current Charges Overdue
Current

Mainly the repetition of the word, 'amount' through-out and the plainly
stilted, 'not overdue amount' were the problem areas.
What purpose does "amount" serve when the numbers say it all? or What does
'not overdue amount' actually mean, at all??

Dilbert takes the cake and the winner is:

Billed unpaid amount Billed not overdue
273.58 85,60
Billed Overdue
1-30days 31-60 days
120,53 67,45

This decision was prefaced with having been made before reading the
afterall and I've made my decision and got better things to do with my
time". The rationale behind "Billed" was to indicate that this was the
amount "billed", but not necessarily "charged". Some customers receive
credits, and hence do not pay the fully "billed" amount. But, IMHO, the
repetition of "billed" becomes superfluous against the other two entries and
leads to inconsistencies in its use. Does this mean "Billed Overdue" is not
necessarily charged either???

Well, in short, I want to only thank again those who responded in the list
and off-line. Your contributions only confirmed some already apparent
dilemnas with the terminology at hand, but it really isn't my job at the
moment. (So much for doing favors) But for the sake of argument and
exchange, it was a good show. If your still scratching your head and saying
"Huh??!!" , then ask away...otherwise cheers.....

stay posted

--Alan