RE: Active versus passive

Subject: RE: Active versus passive
From: Sharon Deitch <sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:46:28 +0200

> Aren't you assuming something?

Well, yes, obviously. I originally wrote the sentence with several possible
subjects in parenthesis, but that defeated the purpose of showing how my
version was clearer, so I deleted it.

> Instruction to the Cleaning Service:
> Prior to closing the house for the season, verify the following:
> 1) The laundry is sorted, washed, dried and folded.
> 2) The dishes are washed and put away.
> 3) The storm windows are shut and locked.

I'd rewrite the instructions as follows:

Before closing the house for the season, make sure you have:
* Sorted, washed, dried, and folded the laundry.
* Washed and put away the dishes.
* Shut and locked the storm windows.

I think we've beaten this argument into the ground. I agree that the
passive voice is useful. In fact, I just wrote a sentence in the passive
when explaining that system records cannot be locked by users, because I
wanted to avoid writing "You cannot lock system records." Still, I firmly
believe that the active voice is clearer and more succinct in most cases.

I'm out of the office for a few days for the holiday, so happy holidays to
everyone.
Sharon

Sharon Deitch
Technical Writer
SintecMedia
Jerusalem, Israel
sharon -at- sintecmedia -dot- com

"It’s amazing how much easier it is for a team to work together when no one
has any idea where they’re going." Despair, Inc.