what's a paragraph; was: Active versus passive (WAS Displays vers us Appears-Which One?)

Subject: what's a paragraph; was: Active versus passive (WAS Displays vers us Appears-Which One?)
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:43:48 -0800

your students were more correct than you were... a paragraph by definition
is the marking up or formatting of sentences into a group [typically
indented!] , not the conceptual framework itself of organizing content --
that's what teachers [yup, I'm a former teacher too] impose on their
charges. it's not a bad idea, but it's pure theology to say every paragraph
must be written only in such-and-such a fashion...

the construct of writing a topic-sentence-themed paragraph is but one
concept of structure, borrowed from classical rhetoric I b'lieve, and it has
its place, but it's by no means the *only* way to organize or compose text,
thoughts, prose. good writing, like speech, can adopt many forms & formats.

orthodox expository writing benefits from organization, sure, but there's
room for lots of effective variations and deviations from that 'golden
rule.'

when teaching writing/composition, I found it effective to build on
students' ability to 'speak' to the page and to build on what writing
fundamentally is, transcribed speech, and then improve it with
editing/feedback/rewrites.

the use of "Free writes" is much more productive in getting students
comfortable with and competent at the toolkit of wordsmithing than
emphasizing strict topic-sentence/paragraphing/outlining as the only way to
make sense in words.

the parallels with language learning are inevitable: all children learn
their native language and speak in complete utterances before being taught
any grammatical schema.

thus, all students *can* learn to write [make speech into readable prosody]
if given technique & tools & enough latitude to channel their creativity
into various structures, paragraphs among them, sure.

what we TWs do is but one subset of expository writing and a necessarily
narrowly defined one at that.