Re: anyone else in the same boat?

Subject: Re: anyone else in the same boat?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 01:51:20 -0800 (PST)

"Michael West" wrote..

> If the client wants swill, you're happy
> to produce bucketloads?
>
> Not me, dude.

While I may advise a client to go down a different path, away from swill, if
they demand swill, I deliver. It is not my job to question my clients desires.
If they are paying, I deliver what they want.

> Making clients happy should be a secondary
> goal to making users happy and knowing you've
> done the best possible job. You need to educate
> your clients. Most of them will appreciate it. The rest
> of them ---- who cares?

For a consultant, it is presumptuous and dangerous to assume you have some
unique bond with users that supercedes the directives and desires of the people
paying the bills. Sure, good companies cater to their customers/users. But in
my line of work, I must cater to my customers/users, who are the clients.

Now for a captive, full-timer - that's a different story.

There are no "who cares" clients. If a client pays me good money to do a job -
I do it. There have been plenty of times when I did not agree with my client's
direction. I make my opinions known, then I shut my trap and do the job.

Andrew Plato

http://shopping.yahoo.com/