Re: Working as TW for Verizon

Subject: Re: Working as TW for Verizon
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 08:51:33 -0600

Like most large corporations, a generalization is incomplete and
misleading.

It depends upon where in the country, Verizon is VERY large. What
department, section, group, or program/project.

If the job is part of a larger documentation effort with a documentation
group, then it is probably ok, if it is part of a project then you may
find the experience less than elevating. Carefully look at the
situation, who they are reporting to, and what the political environment
is like.

I interviewed with Verizon for a position as a technical writer, and
after first talking with the lone writer, found out that they wanted
someone to do three types of writing, proposal, marketing, and internal
audience technical documentation. For two writers, that is a daunting
mix of writing styles and skills.

I interviewed with the lone writer, a programmer, and the project
director. That made my mind up.

In this market, a very good one for the job applicant, NEVER, EVER, take
a job from a manager who asks "Tell me why I should hire you and not
someone else?"

I took the tactful way, and provided the reasons. I never looked back,
but only considered the interview a practice for a real job.

That manager was a pointed haired boss, and not someone I would want to
work for.

If you are not desperate, e.g., don't need money or insurance to pay
bills next week, then don't take what doesn't feel right to you!

Scott