Re: They don't need our stinkin' manuals?

Subject: Re: They don't need our stinkin' manuals?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:30:47 -0800 (PST)

For my term paper for a TW college course, I was able to write about
any subject, as long as it was instructions.

So, I wrote a manual on how to make home brewed beer (an ale,
actualy)and home made wine.

I did it in a very dull, dry, factual manner. However, I did two
things that made it less dull.

1) The manual was about 40 pages. I used a wide inside margin and on
each page was a callout with an interesting or humorous quote or fact
about wine and beer. One of the quotes that I remember most was:

"I don't drink...wine"
Count Dracula

2) The other thing I did was to bring in one of the products of the
tech manual for the class to determine if the instructions were
accurate (about two pints of beer per student). The teacher then
asked the class to give me my grade. Is it a surprise that I got all
A's? (except for one student who tried giving me a G.

--- kelli -dot- lewis -at- onyxgfx -dot- com wrote:

> In grad school I was given an assignment to turn in a piece of work
> that I had
> been editing throughout the semester. I turned in a user's manual
> that I had
> been collaboratively writing at work. After grading the manual,
> the instructor
> handed it back to me with the comment "I'd hate to think I was
> spending my life
> writing material that everyone is just going to throw on a shelf to
> collect
> dust." On the first page, he had written "well written but
> extremely dull."

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.