Re: anyone else in the same boat? (Long)

Subject: Re: anyone else in the same boat? (Long)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:40:39 -0800

Bondira:Joan wrote:

> There are days when I feel like a fraud, but then I say to myself "well, if
> you are, you're a pretty darned good one to survive this long".

I once met someone in a high-tech company who seemed to know what he
was doing. But he turned out to be crazy.

> Given that people tend to drop like flies for no apparent reason at this
> company, and given that I won't have the sheepskin for a few more years, do
> you think that there's hope for someone like me (44, by the way) in this
> field? If they suddenly decide to extinguish my torch, do you think there's
> a chance that I might find another position without a degree?

In most major cities, the jobs far outnumber the writers who can
fill them. Even if that weren't the case, several years' experience
is going to count heavily in your favour. If you also write well and
act responsibly, then few employers are going to care whether you
have a degree or certificate.

Possibly, a high-tech slump may be coming with the decline in the
stock market, but, even if it does, I suspect that your next job
search should be reasonably painless.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Dow Jones going into a stall,
Spray paint saying it on every wall,
The rise was fine, now it's time to decline and fall."
- Richard Thompson, "Yankee Go Home"

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.