RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: "DeGuzman, Kathi" <Kathi -dot- Deguzman -at- Nextel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:04:04 -0500

From: Suzette Leeming
"Just last night, as I was helping a friend of mine understand a program
on his computer, he turned to me and said he thought I should have a job
working with computers. Made me think - what kind of job did he think I
had??? ..."

Funny, so many friends and family members take it for granted that since I
write about computer software I know everything there is to know about how
anything, even remotely related to the computer, would work. I'm not
kidding. I get asked, by family and friends questions along the lines of
"...how do you know if the battery connection or the switch is broken on the
computer when the computer won't start without being plugged in, but will
work on battery power?" Now, how in heck should I know that?

Don't get me wrong, I don't get mad. I find that I chuckle to myself ....
then, I try to help, using whatever little talent I have, to figure things
out.

I guess if you aren't in the "biz," you probably have little if any idea
that tech writers even exist, much less what they do. Sad, but true. BTW,
my mom has some understanding of what I do...she keeps asking me if I can
help "decifer" the user's manual for WordPerfect.

Kathi Jan DeGuzman
Senior Technical Writer
Kathi -dot- Deguzman -at- nextel -dot- com <mailto:Kathi -dot- Deguzman -at- nextel -dot- com>
When I hear somebody sigh that "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask,
"Compared to what?" ~ Sidney J. Harris
<http://www.cybernation.com/victory/quotations/authors/quotes_harris_sidneyj
.html>

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.