Re: Do .pdf files need to be inside /img/ folders online?

Subject: Re: Do .pdf files need to be inside /img/ folders online?
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:45:49 -0500

Michele Davis wrote:
> The user's configuration determines how my browser reacts to downloadable files.
> There is no setting on my server.

The first part is true, but the second part is not quite.

The browser configuration determines how particular types of files are handled,
but the server determines what type of file is being served. That is, the server
declares the MIME type of a file, and the browser handles the file based on its
MIME type. If the server serves a file with a MIME type that the browser does
not recognize, the browser will not handle it "correctly".

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.