RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??

Subject: RE: Post-holiday reality: They don't need our stinkin' manuals??
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:25:34 +1000

My sister and I, and our spouses, helped our recently-widowed 79-year-old mother buy her first computer at the after-Thanksgiving sales. We "kids" had no trouble setting up the computer and all its peripherals without reading any of the setup manuals (despite little hiccups like the printer box stating clearly that it needed a parallel cable when, in fact, it was USB). I tidied up the desktop, getting rid of shortcuts to things she wouldn't be using, and signed her up for an e-mail account.

My mother kept asking, "Where's the instruction book?" Of course there wasn't any, beyond the Getting Started booklets which mainly covered how to set everything up and how to find the online help and the online (PDF) manuals. (The Windows ME Getting Started booklet, I was dismayed to see, had even less information than had been in the Windows 98 booklet.)

The next day I managed to find a commercially-published book on WinME that had lots of pictures and started with "this is a mouse... this is what the left mouse button does... this is what single-click means" and so on -- just the right level for her needs. She will no doubt work through this book cover-to-cover, one page at a time, until she has it memorized, and eventually she'll learn how to use online help and read the online manuals. (She'll also be going to classes at the Computer Learning Center at her retirement community, and calling on her friends for help, but she really likes to figure it all out for herself when she can.) So there's one person who will read, and appreciate, what we do.

I also sat down on the spot and wrote a 6-page Getting Started cheat-sheet that began with how to turn the computer on and off (including shutdown), and which icon to click on to get to the 2 or 3 things she'd want to use at first (cross-referenced to the book I bought her). I included lots of screen shots.

I'm still waiting for my first e-mail from her, but I've learned to be patient.

Cheers, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.