work-related issues

Subject: work-related issues
From: "Le Vie, DonaldX S" <donaldx -dot- s -dot- le -dot- vie -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:10:46 -0800

What a f*cked up response. Plain and simple. When one of your loved ones
falls victim to some tragedy (and we hope that nothing of the sort ever
happens), how will you feel when we all line up at the funeral home with our
one-liners?

I once had a school friend who was prone to emotional laughter and
boisterous outbursts at such tragedies, until his sister was killed riding
her bike home from school. He was diagnosed with some emotional problems
that prevented him from showing grief and he spent years trying to come to
grips with her death because he couldn't in the traditional way. Such a
shame, poor soul.

You can't simply understand how something like that can affect you if you
haven't experienced it yourself. Read my previous post about a similar
incident (workplace shooting) and you'll see that NOWHERE did I mention
laughter and joke-telling as a way to deal with the tragedy.

Laughter may be the best medicine when you lock your car keys in the car, or
reach for your wallet at the grocery store, only to discover you left it at
home, but in situations like this...I didn't see anyone laughing in any of
the news footage, so I think your theory is misplaced, to say the least.

With all due respect, if indeed that is how you handle such events, then it
would have been wiser to keep it off this list.

> Donn Le Vie

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.