Re: non-tech techwr better for end users (was "same boat")

Subject: Re: non-tech techwr better for end users (was "same boat")
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:22:14 -0800

Keith Cronin wrote:

> in documenting a point-and-click application to be used by
> Debbie the Time/Life Operator, will your knowledge of C++ help her find
> the "Print" icon?

No, but, just shooting from the mouth, I could suggest that:

- it may help you to write a troubleshooting section and give Debbie
greater control over her use of the program.

- if you like branching out into interface design, then you might be
able to talk more intelligently to the programmers, and make sure
that the Print icon is positioned so she can see it.

- it may let you get on with your work when the SMEs are too busy to
help you.

- if necessary, it could allow you to check when information from a
SME seems inconsistent or wrong.

- it improves your relation with SMEs because you speak their
language and know what they're talking about.

That's enough to be going on with, I think.

Nobody is ever going to mistake me for a coder. However, having
worked from both a total ignorance of programming and from a limited
but growing knowledge of the subject, I can say that the knowledge
not only makes my job easier, but also makes me feel more secure
about doing it.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"The Queen was in her chamber, a-combing of her hair,
There came Queen Mary's spirit and It stood behind her chair,
Singing, 'Backward and forward and sideways may you pass,
But I will stand behind you till you face the looking-glass.'"
- Rudyard Kipling, "The Looking-Glass"

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.