Re: Oh those tender users

Subject: Re: Oh those tender users
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- att -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 13:04:33 -0500

>> The freshness of the "non-technical" person can provide him or her with
an
>> objectivity that more closely mirrors that of the TARGET of all our
>> writing - the USER.
>
>This is akin to saying "I am a better writer because I remain ignorant."

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.
.

>I hear a lot of writers extol the virtues of understanding the needs of the
>user as if they were a prophet communing with the Lord.

Nope. They're interested in helping their readers understand the product.
"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

I hate to tell you
>this, but the beloved users could care less about you and you're not doing
them
>any favors remaining ignorant.

One doesn't remain ignorant when one learns about a product. "Needs of the
user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

<snip hyperbole>

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

What constitutes "caring about the user" eludes many people. Your example
indicates that you are one of them.
"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

>Would you want to remain in this teacher's class? How on earth could he
ever
>teach you anything if all he does is reformat the information handed to him
>from a textbook. Sure, he may talk a good talk, but how can you trust him?
Is
>this the kind of teacher you want when you spend $50,000 on an education?

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.
"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.
"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

>Okay, now lets apply that to our profession. I spend $9500.00 on a
software
>product (let's say its an e-mail server). I get handed a manual written by
>guy who really cared about my needs - but clearly did not have a clue what
>mail server is, does, or can do.

Another absurd example. "Needs of the user" and "understanding the product"
are the same thing.

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

>Do you think I want this product? How dare this company sell me this
software
>only to provide a manual written by a person who felt the needs of the user
>were more important than understanding the product.

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

>If you do not understand the technologies and topics you're documenting
you're
>doing the greatest disservice possible to your beloved users. You're
feeding
>them incomplete or inaccurate information.

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

>Command of style and grammar is the BEGINNING of technical writing. The
point
>where you start, not the end point. At some point you must move beyond this
or
>you'll never be able to write effectively.
>
>> In essence, it made me the perfect "For Dummies" test subject for our
>> documentation: If _I_ could understand it, ANYBODY could! (Go ahead
>> Andrew, load your missiles!)
>
>So you're a professional dummy. There's a title I have aspired to all my
life.

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

>Ignorance is not a professional skill. Good writers know the topics they
are
>documenting so well they can anticipate confusing ideas, designs and
concepts
>before the product is ever finished. They can also see through to the
technical
>side and as such educate the user rather than instructing them.

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

>> I think you can be a tech writer if you can learn, organize, and present
>> information to your audience.
>
>You can be a decent editor with those skills. You will never be a good
writer
>until you know what you're writing about.

"Needs of the user" and "understanding the product" are the same thing.

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.