RE: Cursors! Foiled again.

Subject: RE: Cursors! Foiled again.
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:50:31 -0500

The print-screen options, like other screen grabs, depend on your screen
resolution and color depth. The print-screen options create a Windows bitmap
that reflects your video settings. Unless you export the capture to GIF or
JPG, the print-screen options should not create those kinds of bitmap.

Now, about GIF. GIF supports 256 colors (8-bit). If your screen displays
16-, 24-, or higher-bit color depth, there is some interpretation that needs
to happen for the screen capture to display as a GIF. Thus, what you see
on-screen might not be what you get. However, since GIF is a non-lossy
format, the screen capture should be sharp and represent the sharp divisions
between dialog boxes, windows, and backgrounds.

JPEG supports higher than 8-bit color. However, JPEG is a lossy format. As
such, there is some interpolation, fuzzyness, and the like, that results in
an image that displays the stark definitions of a screen capture less well
than a GIF (or BMP, for that matter).

With all that in mind, I suppose the answer lies somewhere between what your
display settings are and into what application you are pasting the screen
captures to convert them to GIF/JPEG. FWIW, I have had no such problems
capturing screens in Win 3.x, Win 9x, Win NT, and Win2k.

Cheers,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

Sponsored by an
anonymous satisfied subscriber since 1994.