RE: Copies of final product as part of the project files

Subject: RE: Copies of final product as part of the project files
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:24:42 -0500

"hungrymd" reports: <<I'm an independent contractor and... the contracting
company now wants copies of everything I have produced for the client>>

In all likelihood, it's not your problem and your employer should contact
the client directly to obtain permission. I have no idea what contract you
signed with either the contracting company or the client, but the terms in
those two contracts are what should dictate your response--and if you're
lucky, the two contracts don't contradict each other in this sense. (If they
do, there could be significant problems getting the matter sorted out.) It's
very likely that your work is considered "work for hire", and in that case
whatever you produced is owned by the client, and you can't give copies away
without their permission. But check the contracts to see what you're legally
obliged to do.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca