Re: instructions

Subject: Re: instructions
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:23:25 -0800 (PST)

Elna...I admit that there may be 8 or 10 year olds who may be grownup
enough to make the meal. However, if I was Kraft, I wouldn't assume
that 10 years old is the norm.

I worked as a paramedic 10-12 years ago for about 3 years. I saw too
many pre-teen children electrocuted, burned, and cut to know that 10
is not the right age to handle that type of situation.

BTW...I quit when it was suggested that I do so when I took a swing
at a parent who did something equaly stupid...however, in that case,
it wasn't boiling water...it was frying oil...and the kid was 11.
BTW...they tried putting the kid's leg under cold water...

Hope you don't mind me posting to the list...maybe some will
understand why I came on so strong.

--- Elna Tymes <etymes -at- lts -dot- com> wrote:
> John -
>
> Clearly you haven't been around 10-year-olds lately. Most of them
> are familiar
> with microwave oven operation before they're 5, and are quite
> capable of
> handling boiling-hot water coming out of a microwave and in an
> appropriate
> container, such as a Pyrex measuring cup, by the age of 6 or 7,
> provided
> they've had parental instruction. They also have learned that if
> they spill
> hot water on their hand they need to get the hand under cold,
> running water
> immediately and then call Mom or Dad.
>
> One of the earliest fend-for-yourself task kids learn to do is fix
> dry cereal
> and milk. These days, most kids learn how to do that by age 3. The
> biggest
> problem is handling the milk container, which is usually too heavy
> for them to
> manipulate. Savvy parents get around that by putting the next
> morning's milk
> in a smaller glass or container in the refrigerator, something that
> said 3-year-old can handle.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://photos.yahoo.com/